Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Internet round up: Power foods, eating sustainable seafood, economical cooking



During my visit to the Georgia Aquarium, I noticed that they had some resources to help consumers make sustainable choices with regard to their seafood purchases at home and while dining out.  Poking around on their website lead me to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch website which is very informative.  You can get regional seafood guides which "contain the latest information on sustainable seafood choices available in different regions of the U.S.  Our "Best Choices" are abundant, well managed and fished or farmed in environmentally friendly ways. Seafood to "Avoid" are overfished and/or fished or farmed in ways that harm other marine life or the environment."  You can view the choices online, download them into a handy pocket guide, or even get notices sent to your cell phone.  Pretty cool. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The New York Times has an article entitled "The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating".  Intrigued?

I actually eat some of these things on a regular basis:  stuff like Swiss chard, cabbage, Pomegrante juice (does it count if it's mixed with Cointreau, Grey Goose, and a dash of lime juice?).  Others (pumpkin) sound pretty tasty.   Some are right on...I never touch them.  Prunes, beets, sardines - I'm looking at you.  Bonus points and a blog mention if someone can come up with a tasty recipe involving these things.  LizzieB - you like a challenge... I'll be waiting!  lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My mom pointed me to this article, but I can't find it.  Argh - I thought google mail was supposed to make searching easier.   Sorry, Mom.  It was something about "power foods".


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Here's an article from the Simple Dollar - "Seven Ideas for Preparing Food at Home Cheaply with Minimal Space and Resources".   Savory oatmeal?  Who knew.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


1 comment:

Liz said...

When I get my CSA beets, I'm all over your challenge.

I'll skip the sardines, though!

Even though I have the NY Times delivered, I missed that article. Thanks for posting it.