Monday, June 1, 2009

Huntington Gardens

To celebrate Mother's Day, my mom and I went to the Huntington Gardens for picture taking fun and lunch.

Photobucket

The Gardens did not disappoint and this place has become one of my favorite places in all of Los Angeles. If you get there right when it opens, you can almost go without seeing a single person in some of the smaller gardens, which is an incredible feat in Los Angeles.

We went before June gloom set in, so there were plenty of blue skies for picture taking.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

]And there was all sorts of wildlife - like this cute duckling.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Or this frog. See his head poking out?

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

The bamboo forest...


Photobucket

Of course people, could give an eff about this helpful sign.


Photobucket

Hannah, you suck. Luis y Lore are probably broken up by now.



Photobucket

Bonsai trees - some are hundreds of years old.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


We spent some time in the Japanese garden.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The rose garden was beautiful. I love how they just grow in abundance, all wild like. lol

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lunch time! The Tea Room serves an all you can eat high tea. Yummy sandwiches, desserts, and freshly baked scones.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The scones are all you can eat as well, and if you don't finish them, they give you a nice bag for you to take them home with you. Greedily little piglet that I am, I hid some scones in my first basket behind the teapot so I could get a fresh new basket to take home. Shameless - I know.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Egg salad, smoked salmon, curried chicken salad, cucumber and watercress, cucumber and mint - all on a variety of breads with the crusts cut off. It feels so decadent. My mother would always make me eat the crusts of my PB&J sandwiches, so I always feel like I'm getting away with something when I eat tea sandwiches. A selection of hearty salads accompany the sandwiches along with hummus, olive tapenade, and caviar.

Photobucket


Fresh fruit and assorted pastries/tarts abound on the "sweet side" of the buffet station. I stay away from this and load up on the savory.

Photobucket

Only problem? The plates are too damn small.

Photobucket

A wonderful lunch and afternoon.

One word of caution if you come here though. Pay attention to where you park.

Photobucket

There are all sorts of bushes between the rows of parking so it is reeeeeeally difficult to find your car by just wandering around aimlessly.

4 comments:

weezermonkey said...

Lovely!

10yearstogether said...

Looks like a nice day with mum =)

Feminist Gold Digger said...

I love the little duckling!

Grace said...

This post reminds me that I have still not been to the Huntington and need to go soon. Nice photos!