Sunday, May 25, 2008

Santa Monica Farmer's Market, visit 1

So today I went to the Santa Monica Farmer's Market to check things out... We went to the one near Cloverfield and Pico that is open on Saturdays from 8:30 to 1pm.




It was really fun... There's something about seeing nature's bounty laid out in a colorful array that makes me feel practically giddy. I'm a sucker for veggies that look all gnarled and like someone just pulled them out of the ground. I mean look at these multicolored carrots:


And of course the best thing about the Farmer's Market are the samples. These peaches were amazing.


A lot of the produce is more expensive than the things you'd find in your supermarket (even in the organic section) but some items are cheaper. For example, they had these huge bundles of fragrant herbs (basil, dill, rosemary, thyme, mint, etc.) for a dollar. You'd buy a fourth of the amount for 2 bucks at the grocery store.



Other items were also cheaper and better quality, like the blackberries (Mr. Insomniac bought a cup of those.) One thing I learned about the Farmer's Market is to look around at all the stalls before you go off buying... I bought some asparagus at one stand and saw a much better selection at a cheaper price at another stand. Rookie mistake, I suppose.

Here's my attempt to take a picture of what I ate like WeezerMonkey does in her fantastic blog.  Unfortunately I forgot until it was too late and I had eaten most of my taco al carbon.  Next time I'll exercise more restraint.  It was good though.


This was just a "trial" visit, so I didn't buy much. I bought a bunch of carrots from a farm in California for $1.50, a half pound of snap peas in the shell for $2.00, and a bundle of asparagus for $2.00. I ate the asparagus as soon as I got home and snacked on three of the smaller carrots. The flavor is simply amazing - they are sweeter than any carrots that I've ever had. I even gave a baby one to the carrot connoisseur of the house. It passed his test.

1 comment:

weezermonkey said...

Cutest carrot connoisseur ever.